Anxiety disorder can feel like a terrifying condition that compromises your quality of life. The good news is that here at The London Psychiatry Centre our expert psychiatrists and therapists can offer effective treatment for anxiety.
If you are experiencing anxiety disorder, you may have sudden episodes or long-term anxiety that infringes on your stability and peace of mind. Whatever the frequency of your symptoms, this condition can have physical as well as psychological consequences.
High levels of the stress hormone cortisol in the body can wreak havoc on the endocrine system and, in the long term, may even contribute to heart disease. You may feel permanently lethargic but unable to get a good night’s sleep. Your skin, hair and nails might feel increasingly dry and brittle. Your mind might be plagued with repetitive thoughts and/or irrational fears.
There is no need to suffer in silence. We offer a range of highly-effective treatments which can help get you back on track as swiftly as possible. You’ll receive the best possible care in a totally non-judgemental environment.
Types of Anxiety Disorders
- Generalised Anxiety Disorder: Excessive and unrelenting anxiety and worry.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD): These are generally characterised by uncontrollable thoughts and repetitive, ritualised behaviours such as repeatedly washing hands or checking mirrors.
- Panic Disorder: When a person has frequent panic attacks which are not triggered by specific situations.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): While historically associated with servicemen who’ve been in battle, PTSD can affect anyone who has been significantly stressed by a person or situation.
- Phobias: These are often the source of anxiety or panic attacks. They’re typically triggered by specific thoughts or situations. Examples include Social Phobia or Social Anxiety Disorder (fear of mixing with people), Agoraphobia (fear of leaving your home/open spaces), Arachnophobia (fear of spiders, snakes) etc.
Symptoms of Anxiety Disorders
Anxiety disorder often triggers physical symptoms such as:
- Frequently needing to pass water or diarrhoea
- Feeling tense and jumpy
- Frequent feelings of apprehension
- Trouble concentrating
- Headaches and fatigue
- Sweating and upset stomach or dizziness
- Shortness of breath
- Tremors and twitches
- Anticipating the worst all the time
- Irritability and restlessness
- Watching for signs of danger
- Feeling like the mind has gone blank or somehow frozen
- Pounding heart and general muscle tension
Treatment for Anxiety Disorders
Anxiety disorder may feel like a crippling condition but there is no need to let it ruin your life. The team at The London Psychiatry Centre can help you make a solid and swift recovery.
Our psychiatrists and therapists have the skills and experience to help you get better in a relaxing, therapeutic space. They may prescribe a mixture of medication (either temporarily or long term), along with specialised and very supportive counselling.
The goal is to help patients rebuild their lives and manage the symptoms of anxiety to their best ability.
If you’d like to find out how we can help you, please call us on 020 7580 4224 and we’ll be happy to talk you through the different treatment options available.